Parighasana (Gate Pose)
Benefits: This beautiful pose helps to stretch and elongate the rib (intercostal) muscles. Long muscles help to breathe. This pose also helps to develop core strength and balance.
How it's done:
- Start with your knees on the floor and your body tall.
- Take your right leg and extend it out to the side with the foot on the floor pointing forward.
- Make sure that the left knee is directly underneath your hip.
- Extend your left arm out to the side, and reach for the sky. Elongate your torso and feel the stretch in the muscles of your side.
- Place your right hand on your thigh or calf or floor as you are able.
Watch as Vicki Howie from chakraboosters demonstrates this pose.