Uttanasana (Forward Fold Pose)
Also known as:
- Forward Bend
- Standing Forward Bend
- Standing Forward Fold
- Intense Forward Stretch
- Intense Stretch
Benefits: This basic yoga pose has tremendous benefits. While increasing your flexibility, it stretches your whole body from the legs to the hips to the back to the neck. It relaxes you and calms your spirit.
How it's done:
- From a standing position, bend over at the hip
- Fold your torso over your thighs, keeping torso long (don't curve your back)
- Try to place your hands on the floor, or on blocks beside you.
- The weight is in your heels, your toes are wiggly
- Your knees are soft, slightly bent
- Feel the stress leaving your body
Lynn Nicole Smith of yogaqigongdance with ExpertVillage shows you how to work through this pose and demonstrates modifications for all ability levels.