Parivrtta Trikonasana (Revolved Triangle Pose)
Also known as:
- Twisted Triangle Pose
Benefits: In addition to approving your core strength and balance, this posture stretches your obliques (side muscles) and legs. It strengthens your thighs.
You'll see the revolved and the normal Triangle pose in the photos below. In the Revolved version the hand reaches down to the outside of the opposite foot while twisting the torso. In the traditional Triangle pose, the hand reaches down to the inside of the same foot.
How it's done:
- Begin in a standing pose with feet shoulder with apart.
- Step forward. Front foot is pointed forward, the back foot is at a 45-degree angle
- Turn your torso towards the front leg. Keep hips pointed forward.
- Bending at the hips, drop your opposite hand to the knee, shin, ankle, or floor of the forward leg.
- Gaze should be forward for beginners, intermediate and advanced users can focus their gaze up to their thumb.
In her gentle and guiding way, Kim with Yoga Tree in Toronto takes you through the movements of this pose.