Utthita Hasta Padangushtasana (Extended Hand to Big Toe Pose)
(OOT-hee-tah hah-stah -pahd-ahng-goosh-TAHS-ana)
Also known as:
- Utthita Hasta Padangushtasana B (leg and arm out to the side)
- Utthita Hasta Padangushtasana 2 (leg and arm out to the side)
- Utthita Hasta Padangushtasana A (leg and arm in front of you)
- Utthita Hasta Padangushtasana 1 (leg and arm in front of you)
Benefits: This one-legged balancing pose will strengthen your core, stretch your hamstrings, and open your hips.
How it's done:
- From a standing position, lift a foot and grab the toes with fingers from hands on the same side.
- Your other hand should be on your hip to help keep hip pointed forwards.
- Extend your leg out to the side (version 2/B), or to the front (version 1/A)
- When balanced, extend your other arm
- Gaze should be forward, or towards the side opposite the extended leg to help with balance
- To release, bend the knee before lowering leg to the floor
- Use a strap if needed to help extend the leg
The ever lovely Kino with KinoYoga takes you through the different movements to be successful at this pose - whether you are lifting your leg to the front or the side. May we all develop a balance as steady as hers!